There are 3 steps to set up an Automatic CSV Import.
Step 1: Connect to your SFTP Server
- Hover over the Admin menu and select Sync & Import
- Select Automatic CSV Import
- Navigate to the Settings tab
- Enter your SFTP server’s address in the Server Address field
- Enter the Username and Password credentials you use to access your server
- Under Path to CSV File, enter the specific path to your file (be sure to include the file’s name and extension)
Make sure the information you entered is correct. Then, select Connect to connect to the server and import data from the CSV file.
Step 2: Map your Data
- Choose a unique identifier from the green Match Users By menu. We'll use the data in the column you select to identify existing Profiles in your Pingboard account
Email - Matches existing profiles by their Email field in Pingboard.
Name - Matches existing profiles by their First and Last Name in Pingboard. Names in your CSV must match names in Pingboard exactly to be recognized.
Pingboard User ID - matches users by their unique Pingboard User ID, downloadable from the Reports page in Pingboard
- Column names from your CSV file are represented in the leftmost column; use the drop-down menus on the right to match each CSV column to its target Pingboard Field
- Use the middle columns to choose how you want to update each field
Update if Blank - CSV data is imported only into blank fields in Pingboard, leaving existing data in Pingboard unchanged.
Overwrite - Existing data in Pingboard is overwritten by data from your CSV file.
- Once you're finished with matching data, select Continue to save your settings for future imports. You can always come back and change these settings later.
Step 3: Preview
- On the Preview page, make sure the What's in your CSV summary matches the number of existing and new employees, locations, and groups you're expecting from your import.
- If those numbers don't match your expectations, check your CSV for errors, and specifically check to make sure that the unique identifier data in your CSV matches what's in Pingboard. For example, if you're using Email as your unique identifier, check to make sure everyone's Email in your CSV matches their existing Email in Pingboard.
- If there are errors, select View Errors to see a summary and info about what happens to that data if you move forward with your import. If you'd like to fix errors before completing your CSV import, select Export to download a CSV file of the errors we found.
- Check the Matched Fields section to make sure that your mapping and import settings for each field are correct. Fields with a blue arrow are updated if blank; an orange arrow indicates data in Pingboard will be overwritten with data from your CSV file.
- When you're ready, select Run Import.
Your import may take a few minutes to complete, so feel free to navigate away from the page while we import your data. We'll send an email as soon as the import is finished.
The Results page provides a summary of how many employee records were updated or created and how many new Groups and Locations were added.
The Results page also shows if any errors occurred during import. Select View Errors to view a summary of the problematic rows. Download the summary to make corrections and re-import that data to Pingboard by selecting Start Export.
If you have questions or need help, please contact our Support Team. We're ready to help!
Next Steps: View and Change Automatic CSV Import Settings
Still need help? Let us know.