Creating and editing Org Charts is easy with our simple, drag-and-drop Edit Mode. Even if you're using our import options to upload your chart directly to your account, Edit Mode provides quick and powerful customization to any Admin in Pingboard.
In this guide:
Click the Edit button to switch from View to Edit mode:
When you switch to Edit mode, new options appear on the screen; the Edit panel is shown on the left and Add (+) buttons appear when you hover over cards.
Start building the structure of your chart by clicking on elements from the Build menu on the left and dragging them into place on your chart. If you don't see the Edit panel immediately after clicking Edit, look for and click on the small arrow (>) on the upper-left corner of the page.
- Add Direct Reports by clicking and dragging employees or Role cards onto their manager’s card – a blue border appears around the manager’s card to indicate who you're assigning a report to
- Add coworkers next to existing cards by clicking and dragging employees or Role cards to the left or right of an existing card until you see a blue line indicating where the new card will be placed
- Add assistants by clicking and dragging an assistant card onto its manager
- Assign a Department to its leader by clicking and dragging a department card above its leader's card (a blue line will appear indicating where it will be placed), or drag department cards onto a manager’s card to create new departments under that manager
You can also add Roles, Assistants, and Departments to your chart by hovering over existing cards and clicking the Add (+) buttons.
Now it's time to fill those roles!
Click and drag team members from the Employees menu on the left and place them on empty Role cards, next to their colleagues, or onto their manager's card to assign them to that manager. If they’re not in the Employees menu yet, click the Add (+) button on that panel to create them.
You can also assign employees to roles as you add them – drag and drop a new Role card into place, click on the card, then use the Select a Person drop-down menu in the Role Editor on the right to search for and select a team member and assign them to the position.
To highlight open positions for To Be Hired Roles, click on an empty card on your chart to open the Role Editor on the right side of the screen. Turn on the Hiring slider, add a Job Title, and enter a Description of the role.
Click and drag any card to reposition it on your chart.
- Assign an employee to a new manager by clicking and dragging their card onto their new manager’s card – a blue border is displayed on the card of the manager you’re assigning them to
- Rearrange a group of Direct Reports by clicking and dragging roles to the left or right, above or below their coworkers until you see a blue line indicating where the card will be placed
- Rearrange the order of Assistants by clicking and dragging them into place vertically
- Click and drag a Department to rearrange to the left or right of other Departments under a manager – every member of the Department will be moved as well
- Click and drag a Department onto a manager's card to assign that Department to them
To remove a person from a Role, click on a card and select Remove from Role in the Role Editor on the right. Removing a person from their role will place them back into the Employees menu and leave the role card un-populated until you drag a new person into it.
To remove a Role from your chart completely, click the three dots in the upper-right corner of a card (...) and select Remove Role. Removing a Role from your chart will place the person in that position back into the Employees menu and remove the role card from your Org Chart.
Those are the basics, but there's much more you can do!
- Click the Add (+) button above any role to add Dotted Lines or Departments
- Make any card a Shared Role by clicking on the position and selecting Shared
- Drag-and-drop the order of a manager's Direct Reports by clicking on the overflow menu and selecting Sort Direct Reports
Still need help? Let us know.